vendredi 2 octobre 2020

Early autumn in the PA Wilds

Just returned from a multi-day trip in the Pennsylvania Wilds and surrounding areas of PA/NY. Overall a good trip besides aggro pick-up truck drivers tailgating me on one-lane highways - even when I was going 20 miles over the speed limit!

My trip started in Allegheny National Forest where I visited a few new sights: the uniquely-shaped Hector Falls and the multi-loop Minister Creek Trail System:













Camped in Allegany State Park on the New York side and then made the longish drive down to Central Pennsylvania the following morning to hike part of the Standing Stone Trail around Jack's Mountain (already did the 1,000 Steps so I hiked from the north this time around). The journey was approximately seven miles long and I didn't encounter another soul the entire time.











I then made my way into the heart of the PA Wilds: the Quehanna Wild Area and Elk State Forest. This was my favorite part of the road trip. The Beaver Run Dam area was like a hybrid between Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge and the Dolly Sods. Quite spectacular this time of year! I spent the better part of the day hiking on- and off-trail there, and made a brief stop at Table Falls where I got a chance to experiment with my camera's shutter speed. After that, I made my way to Elk State Forest where I saw... you guessed it... several elk. From the driver's seat of my car, I spotted one a few feet from the road and a whole family of them at the edge of the scenic Sinnamahoning River. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to snap any photos since there was one of the aforementioned pickup truck drivers behind me and no place to pull off on the side of the narrow road. I hope to explore that area a little more in depth the next time I'm in the area because I really liked what I saw from the road!

















Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire