jeudi 3 février 2022

What does fire damage look like 110 years later?

I think a lot of different things... but, using some past experience and GIS data I was able to trace at least one place.

A good portion of what is now Ha-de-ron-dah WA burned, and I believe prior to state acquisition, although it may have been right after for some areas.

At any rate, I was able to figure out by using the UMP and tax maps, at least when some areas were acquired (some require a little more digging as the UMP is unfortunately vague).

Most of what escaped fire in that area is to the northeast of Moose River mountain and east of Otter Lake - this was logged prior to the fires, but also was perhaps logged later on as well but I didn't look that deep into the later acquisitions. The northern portions were significantly impacted by blowdown in 1950, so that may be their defining character today.

As far as I can tell, where this picture was take was acquired in 1909 and also burned sometime recently prior, or shortly after:




I'd buy those yellow birch are 110 years old, but honestly this does not look that old to me. Which makes me wonder if it's really not, and this a second successional step and perhaps in the 1950-60's, this area looked a lot different and had different speciation (besides those persisting yellow birch). I realize this is only one shot, but the area that burned looks this way.

Anyway, all this had made me wonder how long it takes for forest preserve to resort back to some semblance of its former self pre-logging, pre-fire.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire