jeudi 5 mai 2022

Largemouth Bass In A Small Trout Lake

My favorite spot in the Adirondacks to catch Brookies has a large abundance of Largemouth Bass, and I am curious how the Brook Trout there seem to be competing so successfully against them.

I do not want to disclose the exact location, but this lake has apparently not been stocked since at least 2011, if not much earlier than that. The DEC reclaimed this lake multiple times in the 1980s, but apparently the Largemouth keep getting back in there. I know this can be devastating for most Brook Trout fisheries, but for some reason these particular Trout seem to be having no trouble competing against these invasive fish. I have had banner days on these waters where I caught 20+ fish in a single day, everything from large beautiful trophy fish, to small fingerlings. Looking up the lifespan of a Brook Trout, it seems impossible that these are the same fish stocked in here so long ago, and they must be naturally reproducing and successfully feeding. How is this possible? Why is the Bass so devastating to other Brook Trout fisheries, but not this one?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire