lundi 12 avril 2021

Floodwood Loop - slow trip planning?

Hey all -

I'm a semi-newbie canoe camper: My wife and I did the bog river/lows lake trip twice in 2012 and 2014 and loved it. THEN we decided to have some kids and canoe camping was suddenly out of reach for a bit :)

The girls are 2 and 5 now, and I think we're ready to get back into it. I've been doing some trip planning, but had a few questions:

We're planning on a late June trip, doing the floodwood loop starting from the St. Regis oupost: Floodwood > Fish Creek > Follesnby Clear > Hoel > Turtle > Slang > Long

It's a more challenging trip than bog river in the amount of lakes and portages, but we're giving ourselves 3 nights. I think even with pretty light paddling days, it should be doable. Anyone disagree?

Thinking about an itinerary - I could see two ways to do it: Either a big push on day 1 taking us to Follensby Clear, then take a rest day to explore the pond, then paddle to long pond, camp there, and then exit the next morning. OR Do three even days of paddling, maybe south Follensby Clear, then Turtle Pond, then to Long pond early to set up camp and do the Long Pond Mountain hike.

The constraints with two little kids are that portages are likely going to take longer than normal - more gear, little legs, etc. I also assume setting up and breaking down camp may also be slower than normal. Despite one additional day of breaking down and setting up, I'm leaning towards three easier days vs. two big days. But the thing is, I haven't paddled this loop yet, so I don't have a sense of the total distances.

What would you all recommend?

Extra credit question: Clearly we're not traveling with our old 2 person backpacking tent - we've been using an REI Kingdom 6 for car camping, but that's a big ol' tent - around 22 lbs dry. Is that a feasible canoe camping tent? Anyone canoed with something big like that?

Thanks for the help!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire