samedi 11 décembre 2021

Hemlock Wooly Adelgid

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSettahr (Post 287950)
I know that there is some thought that the hemlock woolly adelgid (another invasive insect that is wrecking havoc with hemlock populations through the mid-Atlantic, and accordingly also causing severe consequential impacts on trout habitat) may not be able to survive the (relative) extreme cold of Adirondack winters and therefore may not have the ability to firmly establish itself within the bulk of the Adirondack Park. I have no idea if there's any similar hope that the same may be true of EAB, but I have personal hope, at least. And of course, with climate change, who knows whether future winters will be a limiting factor for the adelgid, either.

I think from what I can remember from a Cornell Forest Connect, HWA is already here in NY.

I don't know off the top of my head exactly why, but I recall it's not very severe... yet. I do recall the Adelgid having a crazy life cycle and that it was being studied intensely at Cornell to try to limit spread or infestation here.

I'd be devastated if it took out the Adirondacks. I seem to recall a number of older, large Hemlocks, mostly around lakes and ponds, that would be terrible to lose.

And I think the issue around here is that they generally grow, or can really only compete along seasonal streams and glens, where apparently they lower the temperature of the water. I'd assume that's where the impact to the fish could be substantial.

I'd assume, from pics I've seen of PA's creeks and glens, they'd have the same issue. Looks exactly like southern FLR.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire