mercredi 5 janvier 2022

Eastern Glades

Not sure where is most appropriate for this, but it's been a point of curiosity for me, and one I don't readily know where to look for answers.

It's not something I haven't seen before per the definitions I've found: an opening in the forest.

Well, what I'm thinking of is a little more specific. Skiers know all about them, and I think the ones at most ski areas are in the Adirondacks are fire scars, but I'm not sure that's always the case.

When staying at Bear Lake lean-to a couple years ago, I whacked up around the nearby small mountains just for something to do. There was all sorts of interesting stuff around there - a large cliff with lots of underground seepages that I could see changing from the day we came in to the next - It had rained a day or two prior and I could see the flow changing as the mountain above drained out.

But what really interested me what on an adjacent hill to the lake, I reached a really sparsely wooded section with a lot of big tufts of grass and lush ferns. It was near the summit but I could see traces of whatever caused it down the side. I walked down that way - It was really steep but there was an incredible amount of organic soil. Big tufts of grass and mosses, barely hanging on but what looked like many, many years of compost.

I really wish I would have noted what trees were up there or taken some pics, but I couldn't help think what caused this? Is this an ancient fire scar? Something odd with the soil chemistry? A prevailing wind or snow pattern?

I may never know, but it's fun to think about... perhaps I'll have to go back and have another look.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire