mardi 22 juin 2021

Nine Carries... Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

The subject title pretty much says it all. Two buddies and I are doing doing the Nine Carries route from August 9-12 (Monday to Thursday). We are using SRCO again and they've suggested that we put in on Long Pond and then they'll shuttle our car to Little Clear. They can also do it in the opposite direction. The idea is for us to spend one night each on Long Pond, Fish Pond, and St. Regis Pond. With our camp nights being Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, I am hoping that we have a good selection of campsites available, but in mid-August who knows. All that being said, for those of you have done this route, I am curious to hear your opinion on what direction is better. I know the winds blow from the west a bit, but in this area I don't know how much that really matters. On a previous trip we went from Hoel to Long before going through the Saranac Lakes and I don't recall the wind being much of a factor in either direction. I guess I only have two main thoughts about starting at Little Clear:
  1. If St. Regis is the most popular pond (could be an incorrect assumption for all I know), would it be better to find a great site on a Monday or a Wednesday?
  2. If St. Regis > Ochre > Mud > Fish is the hardest portage (another assumption I am not sure of), is it better to do that earlier in the trip.

At the end of the day, we just want tranquility, good views, and to hopefully hear a ton of loons at night as close to us as possible :) I assume either direction is good, but value the experience and opinions from all of you.

P.S. Read someone's review of a similar trip from a few years back and they mentioned the fire pit on the Little Long Pond (west) campsite to be infested by snakes. I found that to be quite freaky. I love wildlife, but I don't love a snake infestation in an otherwise serene campsite at the end of a long day of portaging. Anyone have any experience with that in this area?:Peek:

Thanks!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire