vendredi 29 avril 2022

Putnam Pond

Just got back from spending five nights in Schroon Lake at the Blue Ridge Motel. Decided to go the soft route and do day hikes into the area rather then the backpacking trip I originally planned. While I have backpacked into Pharaoh Lake four times, I never really explored the area. This trip took me to Clear, Heart, North, Little Rock, Rock and Berrymill. Wanted to climb Treadway, but it became clear to me that my dog Maggie's days of climbing mountains is probably past her now. Instead we kept on the level ground this trip. I saved Berrymill for last, not because I expected it to be special, but simply because it would make for a last hike and only be four miles so as to not tax my Maggie by the end of our stay. DAMN!!! While the trail is like most trails, certainly nothing out of the ordinary, I was blown away by the beautiful waterfall just prior to reaching Berrymill lean-to. It was beautiful. Then I approached Berrymill and instantly felt a connection that I never expected. It was beyond beautiful, it was breathtaking. I was instantly taken in by the lean-to's placement as well. I will be honest with you all, I haven't personally found a spot this beautiful outside of Colden Lake. Everyone has their own definition of beauty, so maybe this spot is "ok" to some, but all that matters is how I see it. I'm coming back in September to spend a few nights there. My Maggie can make this hike easily, and we won't need to climb any mountains to obtain views, because Berrymill has all the views either of us need.

Definitely enjoyed our other hikes, and visiting all those other ponds was something I have wanted to do for a very long time. I'd be lying if I didn't say I very much appreciated the many foot bridges that got us over the many streams in the area. I won't complain either that there are too many markers along the trail. Maybe it's my old age, but I was just fine with both of those. I am glad to report also that every lean-to we came to was very clean. Justin, you did a great job at Rock Pond, because it was still clean when Maggie and I got there.

On a sad note, my best hiking companion ever, Maggie, is slowing down quicker then I had hoped she would. Our backpack trip into Colden last year was very taxing on her, so I felt coming up and doing these hikes would allow her to both enjoy our time together, and not put a strain on herself. Turned out though that she was limping after each hike, even though we took it slow. Since she entered my life almost eight years ago, I haven't left the house without her probably 95% of the time. Even if I am only going up to the corner to get some milk, she is with me. Have had senior blood work done on her recently, and had multiple x-rays taken to see if they could figure out why she is limping. On a positive note, her joints are in great shape and my vet can't find anything that might be causing her to limp after our hikes. Unfortunately though, something isn't right. While we are out hiking (we have hiked 1000's of miles together), she doesn't display any discomfort, fatigue or anything that would indicate she isn't comfortable. This is just about the most stressing thing I am facing right now. I can't even begin to fathom what I would do if while she is pleading with me to take her, I might have to say you can't come for your own good. This is a heartbreaking moment in our lives together for me. On a strictly selfish note, though I am 71, I am fortunate that my joints and the rest of me are fine. Though I am slower then a turtle on the tougher trails, and 2000' foot of elevation gain will never come quickly for me, I can get the job done. But my window will be closing sooner rather then later. With Maggie slowing down much more rapidly then I am, I am at a complete loss as what I should do. I truly can't imagine not having her by my side, but I don't want to harm her either. When we come up to people on the trail, Maggie doesn't even look up at them. For her, it's the two of us and nothing else matters. I have my wife of course, but out on the trail, Maggie is all that matters to me.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire