vendredi 19 juin 2020

St. Regis Canoe Area - out and back, Long Pond to Fish Pond

June 5-7. My son, brother and I set out from Long Pond on a gorgeous day, and paddled to the long carry to Bessie. We knew rain was forecasted so we wanted to be in a lean-to on Fish Pond if we could so we made it our mission to get there as soon as we could. The one up off the water was available so we made camp - this would be our base camp for two nights as we "pond-hopped" and hoped for some brookies:p We fished relentlessly with all the "right" baits - myself fly casting whooly buggers and assorted streamers and my son and brother spin casting and throwing Black Panthers, Aglias, and other spinners". Sunday came around and no luck to that point. We ended up on Kit Fox as we made our way back to Long, fishing along the way. We were on Kit Fox for maybe 5 minutes and my brother yells - "Got one!" As I got closer I could tell by the size and the color flash that it was a trout. We were all super excited - especially my son and I as this was our third trip to this area and to that point had only managed some smallmouth on St. Regis Pond. It was a beauty (I had forgotten how beautiful these fish were). It was about 14", and 2-3 lbs. My bro had driven a long way (and the long carry the first day was rough on him) so I was very happy for him. An hour later as we are nearing the take-out on Kit Fox my son gets into one! His equally beautiful, but "only" 12". I, unfortunately, got skunked again but I have never been so happy to see someone else catch a fish. We only got two, but felt very grateful for that. We had some rain at night, but were snug in the lean-to so it was actually very cool to hear the thunder intermingled with the loons at night. We had a blast, love this area. Quite rigorous with the carries but it makes you feel incredible at the same time. Can't wait to go back. This was my brother's first trip up here and he was blown away. Maybe next time is my turn to hook into one of these hallowed fish! I have attached a pic of my brother's fish (the bigger one).

Attachment 19568

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2705.jpg (140.7 KB)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire