jeudi 3 septembre 2020

St. Regis Canoe Area, Covid, & out-of-state users

I've been planning my first trip to the Adirondacks, to canoe, fish for brook trout, and to experience some backcountry solitude. (I will be paddling solo.) The St. Regis Canoe Area seems to fit the bill. My tentative plan is to start right after Labor Day, and spend five days, paddling to the Fish Pond area, probably starting from the Long Pond Access.

Since I have never been to the Adirondack area, I would welcome any general advice about my planned itinerary. (Such as, Hoel access vs Long Pond? Any advice on places to visit or avoid, etc.)

I have a couple of specific concerns related to the current Covid situation:

1. Will the increased number of users affect my ability to find tent sites, and experience solitude?

2. I would be traveling from Michigan, with a Michigan license plate on my car. I'm a little worried about hostility to out-of-state users, given the Covid travel advisory, and the general advice to recreate close to home. Michigan is not on the restricted state list; and since I would staying alone in the wilderness, I do not worry that my plans are objectively unreasonable. But I do want to be sensitive to local attitudes. I could postpone my trip for a year, and take a trip to Michigan's upper peninsula this year instead.

Thanks for any suggestions.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire