mercredi 9 mai 2018

Porter Mt. from Garden Trail closed

A few weeks ago I was able to share some good news that Owls Head in Keene would again be open to hikers mid-week as it was last year. *Unfortunately, I must now report that the one private landowner on that trail (below Little Porter) has decided to close the trail as of May 31. *He cited problems that I don't believe were caused by hikers using that trail, but a letter in February (after he informed the DEC of his intent to close the trail after the required 90 days), and two conversations in person have not caused him to change his mind. *I pointed out to him that this closure will do nothing to stop those who research Big Slide or The Brothers on Google Maps and believe that his access road is the route to take.

I would add that I am assuming he will enforce this closure "vigorously". *I base that assumption on his denial of my request to walk his road so that I could begin to plan for a reroute that would not be on his property.

There is definitely a feasible reroute around the west end of the private property, but it certainly won't happen this season. *By bushwhacking, I have so far located the two relevant corners of the property and identified a good site for a bridge over Slide Brook. *The trail will theoretically leave the Brothers Trail just before it dips to cross Juliet Brook and work its way on generally easy terrain to the brook crossing. *After that it will be a long traverse on a steep side hill to join the existing trail just below the final steep climb with stone steps to Little Porter.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire