lundi 21 mai 2018

You CAN Hike a High Peak in May

This is a follow up of my post announcing that the East Trail to Rocky Peak Ridge was in very good condition and completely free of snow when I hiked it on 5/17, in spite of the fact that DEC, on that very day, posted "Deep snow (1-3 feet) and ice are present above 3,000 feet with even deeper snow above 4,000 feet.”

I realize that the East Trail is rather unique because of its openness (and the fact it is not north facing). That was the very reason I chose it as the best bet for a High Peak hike.

But given the fact that the trail was completely free of snow and ice, all the way up to 4400 feet, even in its shaded conifer gullies, and that it was not even very wet, I’m thinking there must be a least a couple of other High Peak trails where it is likely that the snow/ice is not significant enough to require winter equipment.

I believe DEC prefers people not hike the High Peaks at all in the spring. When giving warnings about 3 feet of snow, it is not going to add “but Rocky Peak Ridge is a good bet!”. I understand this. But it does mean the DEC information is of limited value when you want to figure out where you can hike in the spring.

When the question I am posing here was asked on this forum a few days ago, the answers seemed to take the DEC warnings as gospel and assume that no High Peak would make a good hiking choice – which is clearly not the case.

I should think that the Ridge Trail to Giant would be another likely choice. Are there not others as well?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire