mardi 12 février 2019

Training a pup for a canoe/kayak

Hey All,

I'm starting to look at the maps and guidebooks again and plan the summer paddling trips. This year, we have a new member of the group, a sweet and very energetic black lab puppy who just turned 7 months old, and she, like her predecessors, will be riding along.

I know there are several members here who have paddled regularly with dogs and I'm wondering if any of you have any tips on training a pup to ride in a canoe. My previous 2 dogs, 1 a full lab and the other a lab mix, were very good in canoes and kayaks, although I honestly can't remember training them to do it. It seems like they just took to it naturally with very little input from me. That may happen with this current pup, although it is difficult to imagine right now. She is a ball of energy, and it is hard to imagine her sitting still in a boat for hours at a time. I'll obviously start close to home, in shallow water with short day trips, but I'm hoping to do a couple of multi-day, long distance paddle trips on big lakes this summer and I'll need to be reasonably confident that the pup won't tip us over.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire