vendredi 7 juin 2019

Dix Range Traverse (73 to 73)

So I'm planning a Dix Range Traverse for this summer. Current plan is to enter on 73 and go up to Grace via the Boquet Forks Trail, do the ridge, then come back down over Dix itself and exit at Round Pond. I have three questions (actually two, one with two parts):

1- going up Boquet Forks. Is it easier to follow starting on the south side of the river, or the north side/the so-called "high water route"? I'm less concerned about getting my feet wet as I am about wasting time having to pick my way through to follow the trail, or doubling back because I hit a dead end at a campsite, etc.. So which is easier to follow summertime, all else being equal? and

2a - going from Macomb to Hough. Which route would have less elevation change, going down from Macomb a bit towards Lilian Brook, and then up toHough. Or, going from Macomb past the Lilian Brook cutoff back up to South Dix, and the over to Hough? From the map, I assume going down towards Lillian Brook to come back up will involve more elevation change, but am curious if anyone knows from having been there. (I understand there's a "Pough Peak" in there someplace, not really marked on the map that may be hiding elevation from the uninitiated...) And...

2b - would going down towards Lilian Brook from Macomb en route to Hough mean I could refill water at a stream? Can I reliably plan to replenish and filter water that way, or not a factor and should I just plan to carry more from the start?

Thanks for any answers to these, and any other thoughts or suggestions you may have about the Dix Range via this route in summer.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire