samedi 22 juin 2019

Rocky, Black Bear, and Coney

After climbing Bald last Tuesday, I thought why not, I can do the Fulton Chain Trifecta. So, I did that today. I climbed Black Bear and Rocky. It was convenient that both trailheads shared the same parking area. Then I went on to Coney. I put a down payment on the Tupper Triad. I finished the day at Buttermilk Falls which was Roaring.

Black Bear was the longest of the three mountains. It was two miles and about a 700 foot gain. The trail starts out like a road on the right side of a stream valley. Further up it was muddy with water running down the trail. There are paths skirting on the edge. When I reached a Y intersection, I took the right blue path, because it was the shorter way. The other way wraps around and climbs the back side of the mountain. The blue path pitched up moderately then leveled off for a while. It traveled to a notch in the ridge and began climbing again. Then I was faced with a rock wall. The trail switched back on the right side of it. There was a neat feature of railings made of tree branches. After the rock wall was a hemlock forest then a series of small scrambles to the summit.

The summit had many clearings with several views toward the south and northeast. The main features were what I believe was Seventh Lake and its mountain to the south I could see Blue with a myriad of mountains to the east. The northern views were partially blocked by low trees, but I could have been more thorough exploring the top. I was beat due to dehydration that crept up on me. I did have water on me though.

After that I climbed Rocky. I rehydrated so my energy came back. Rocky was a solid climb of almost 500 feet. It’s only a half mile long. There was one break in the climbing before the final pitch to the top. Once at the top there was a sweeping view of Fourth lake. I could see straight down on Rocky Point and its community. That qualified me for the patch.

I did not wear bug spray this time. I hardly noticed the black flies. What I did notice was the mosquitos. If I stood still where there was no wind, I would be under attack. There was plenty of wind on top, which was good.

Coney was beautiful. I would recommend it for anyone. The top has a cool looking bald dome, with a full 360 view. It’s a like a micro high peak that is a beginner mountain. The trail basically spirals gracefully around the mountain for a mile to the summit. It’s a very easy 500 foot climb. The mountain sits in the Raquette River Plain Surrounded by big mountains throughout the horizon. The High peaks are in the east. The Central Mountains are to the south. Mount Morris is just to the Northeast and you can see the vast western and northwestern lowlands of the park.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire