dimanche 28 janvier 2018

Perhaps it's the hikers attitude that needs to change.

I happened to be skiing at a large public area close to home when I had this encounter.

It's quite a popular place for skiing and snowshoeing when there is snow, but we often have problems with barebooters ruining the trails. I contacted the county about these issues and was asked to join a group which helps to educate users and share the trails more responsibly.

Along my ski I ran into a couple hikers, both with bare boots. They were lost and asked me the quickest way back to the parking area. I gave them a couple options and tried to get on my way. I noticed that they had been walking directly in the ski track that had been set and one that had been undisturbed by hikers or snowshoers for a few days (because I had been out every day). There was a snowshoe track beside the ski tracks. I asked one of the gentlemen if he would walk outside of the ski tracks because his bare boots ruin them. His response was, "My feet are cold, I don't want to walk in the snow."

So not only were these gentlemen completely unprepared for the conditions, they ruined almost two miles of ski track (I skied the way they came in and they walked in the track the whole way and post holed it severely). And recall, they were lost. Granted it's a large tract of land, all the trails are marked and there are maps at each parking area.

I really wish hikers would get it together, they tend to be the most egregious offenders, the least prepared and the most clueless.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire