jeudi 25 janvier 2018

Pharoah Lake Wilderness/Lake George camping questions

Hey All,

I'm beginning plans for my family's Adirondack summer vacation, this year occurring the week of July4th (1st-8th). I've made a reservation for one of the remote sites on the pond at Putnam Pond Campground for the 1st half of the week. For the 2nd part, I'm thinking of staying around Lake George, where I haven't been for almost 15 years.

I'm looking at 3 campgrounds near Lake George- Rodger's Rock, Hearthstone Point, and Lake George Battleground. I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions or information to offer regarding these. Normally I'm not much for campground loop camping, but since we'll be primitive camping for the 1st half of the week, my wife would like a more "civilized" setting for the last few days, with the option to check out the village of Lake George. I wouldn't mind also having the option to take my kayak out on the lake, and perhaps a 3-6 mile hike to a place of interest (backcountry pond, peak, overlook, etc.)

I also have a few questions regarding Putnam Pond/Pharoah Lake wilderness. We're planning to spend most of time paddling around the lake and fishing, and dayhiking to the nearby ponds and Treadway mountain. 1st, can anyone comment about the quality of fishing on Putnam? I know there are pike, bass, and perch, and that tiger muskies have been stocked in the past. Are they still in there? I know they don't breed and Idon't know when the last stocking was. I've never caught a muskie.

As for the nearby ponds- Rock, Clear, and Grizzle Ocean- my fishing guide lists these as trout ponds. I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck fishing from shore here in high summer, or will I need to carry in a boat to have any chance of catching trout?

Any recommendations or insights are appreciated.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire