dimanche 25 août 2019

Moose River Plains Little Moose Lake attempt #1

I spent a couple of days in the Moose River Plains. I've been wanting to scope out a few ponds there. Little Moose Lake was the first one. Prior to my trip I contacted DEC and they told me there were no designated campsites on the lake. I decided to camp at one of the roadside sites on Cedar River Road.

The road is in great shape. I saw cars, trucks, and many decked out off road vehicles. There is a 15 MPH speed limit but most of the people drove like they were auditioning for a stunt driver role in the Dukes of Hazzard. Not cool.

The campsites are nice. I found one that was setback from the road a bit.



The sites all have fireplaces and outhouses. I opted to use the dome tent as I was car camping. I brought my Thermarest Mondoking sleeping pad that I use in winter. It was like staying at a hotel.



After a good nights rest I decided to find Little Moose Lake off the Northville Placid Trail. According to my Nat Geo map there is a cut through trail about 2 miles from the trailhead heading South. Found it no problem.



The cut through appears to be an old truck trail. After about 10 minutes you run into a gate. There is another gate about another 10 minutes up the trail too.



The trail is easy to follow and eventually you run into the Wilson Ridge Trail. This is where things got sketchy. The trail is billed as a bike trail but it is extremely overgrown. I followed it Southwest for a bit and then it disappeared. I decided to bushwhack and did so for about 1/2 mile. The forest got really thick and I saw no evidence of any old trail whatsoever. I decided to turn around. I know my limits.

Heading back North on the NPT I stopped at the campsite on Cedar River Flow. It's a nice site but appears to get plenty of use.



Snapped a few nice photos of the Cedar River Flow. All the campsites around Wakely Dam were taken and it was too crowded for my liking. It's really nice there though so I'd like to return in the Fall with the Hornbeck.



So I didn't make it to my destination but it was still a great trip. There is another route off the Butter Brook Trail next to site #7 that I may try some other time. Hopefully if anyone is thinking about going to Little Moose off the NPT this post will help you realize what you're getting into. Enjoy!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire