dimanche 10 juin 2018

ADK Fishing Report: “Undisclosed” Pond 6-9-18

Got up at 1:30 am and made the drive to my favorite ADK pond. Started hiking at 8:15 am, exactly 6 hours after leaving Bloomsburg, PA.

As usual, I was the only one fishing.

  • Upon arrival, noted several leeches in the shallows at my put in area. One stretched out to be quite long….about 4-5 inches. They are smoky-olive with orange on the belly.

  • Started with my usual rig: an intermediate line with 3 flies. Trolled offshore down to about 8-10 feet with no success. This is how I caught all the fish on my last trip, nearly 4 weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised on how cool the pond was…..very similar to my last trip.
  • After about 1-1/2 hours, I switch over to a Type III fast sinking line and 2 flies: a Denny’s olive Peacock Callibaetis Nymph on a dropper with a sz. 14 micro olive/orange Seal Bugger on the point. Moved out well offshore into deeper water. Caught and released 3 Brookies in the 10-11 inch range and lost one other.
  • Tough fishing. One issue I had was strike detection. I did have a couple of the bite-bite-bite-bite type, but, most were short, soft, single pulls. In the case of the lost fish, I thought I’d pulled through something on the bottom started reeling in and realized the line was moving. I had several of the short, soft, single pulls. Many surprised me and I didn’t react. The wind was intermittently gusty with varying direction – uncharacteristically strong at times – and this didn’t help. Curious if this is normal pond Brookie behavior for this time of the summer or if something had put them down.
  • I fished until about 3 pm then headed out for the long drive home.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire