mercredi 3 octobre 2018

Little Joe Pond, WLWF, 3 Oct, 2018

This morning, I had a small window of opportunity to take a quick hike to one of my favorite little ponds in the southern Adirondacks. Little Joe Pond, in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest, is only a mile or so off of Rt. 8 (kind of like last weeks hike to Eagle Pond), but it's a lot easier to get to.

While the faint path to Eagle Pond climbed steeply over 600', the path to Little Joe is well trodden and a lot milder. Stair stepping 400' over the northern shoulder of Moose Mt., it's also marked with slightly obnoxious paint blazes. You would really have to work to get lost on this "unmarked" path



After climbing a little, and still within earshot of Rt. 8, the path zig-zags across an abandoned snowmobile trail.



After crossing a very wet swampy area, the path begins a gradual climb into some nice hardwoods.



I noticed this neat looking fungus on a fallen log.



A short climb to the top of the ridge brought the pond into view. The path then descended slightly and ended at the designated campsite on the north shore. It was sad to see that the graffiti was still on the hemlock from two years ago :gripe: It detracts from a beautiful campsite.



Fortunately, the view from the water helps to make up for the gross buffoonery.



I lounged around the designated campsite for a little bit before striking out for the newly designated picnic site on the south shore. While there is no formal path around the lake, a faint fisherman's path worked well enough and I was soon at the rocky point near the outlet.



There were some nice little maple saplings on the shore that were really showing off their stuff.



After a while, I heard voices from across the pond. Four gentlemen from the Fonda area arrived to try their luck with the resident fish population. Seeing that I would have to hustle to make it back home on time, I said a quick hello, wished them luck and wandered back down the path.

I must have made good time back to Rt. 8, because I had enough time for a quick stop along the East Branch of the Sacandaga River to enjoy the colors.



I took a quick hop into the woods and checked out the waterfall on Jimmy Creek. The recent rain really helped to make this usually mellow cascade quite a sight. :)



While today wasn't the best day to be out and about, it sure beat sitting around the house. I enjoy these short hikes on damp falls days. I find I pay more attention to the little things, and that's good.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire