mardi 2 octobre 2018

Rarely seen Owl on Blue Ridge 3881' & No more beer can

My wife and I climbed Blue Ridge 3881' and Blue Ridge South Peak 3488' on Saturday. We parked at Pillsbury and approached via the Old Military Road.
High up on the summit cone at approximately 3600' I noticed a flutter out of the corner of my eye. I looked to the right and nearly hidden in the trees was a Northern Saw Whet Owl. These types of owls are rarely seen but tend to not fly off upon being noticed like other types of Owls do. I took a photo of it in the tree (posted below, quite hard to see). Then it flew about 15 feet to another perch and I got a better close-up photo of it (also posted below). Such an awesome creature to encounter in the deep woods. Stunning and wonderful to see.
The woods on Blue Ridge from the southwestern Stony Brook approach we took has to be some of the most spacious open high elevation woods in the Adirondacks, particularly nearer the top. The summit area has widely spaced out trees and little underbrush and blowdown. I found the old canister strapping at the summit which had an empty beer can stuffed in it. We took out the beer can and got rid of it.
We then walked over to the steep edge and got incredible views over toward Indian Lake and Snowy. Perfect cool and sunny Fall weather. A fantastic hike, I would love to do this climb again!



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire