samedi 13 octobre 2018

MRP, ADKS trip, Fall 2018

I visited the MRP last week to have some quiet / chill out time as well as to hopefully spend some time behind the camera. I had planned a series of night hikes around the ADKs based on some planning I'd done for the Milky Way and star trails - but when the weather forecasted to gray / overcast / rain I decided to basecamp and take some quiet time.

I arrived at MRP from Burlington on Sunday afternoon. Camped at a site on the little knob @ Sumner Stream.

Peak by Mike, on Flickr

Tarptent Moment by Mike, on Flickr

The site was a complete mess - there was food in the fire pit, garbage all around - I had a garbage bag so I cleaned up and then headed for Helldiver Pond at dusk, then settled in with a fire and some dinner until I started dozing off in my camp chair.

Helldiver Pond, Moose River Plains, Adirondacks by Mike, on Flickr

Colors were just starting to peak - but over the next two days it would be hard to tell with the gray clouds shrouding the hills. The light was beautiful, regardless, and I had a great time staring at ponds, watching clouds and mists, sitting in front of the campfire and re-charging.

In the morning I made my way down to the bridge at Sumner Stream and watched the mist roll over the hills, then went to Icehouse Pond and did some exploring by car. I also had to send a critical work email (even though I was out of the office) - so I made my way to Inlet for a second coffee and sent my email from the donut shop. Got my work done, and then was back to the land of no-cell coverage.

Misty Morning Mountains by Mike, on Flickr

Ice House Pond, Moose River Plains, Adirondacks by Mike, on Flickr

I drove down to the end of Indian Lake Road and walked to Squaw Lake, sat aside the water for a long time and enjoyed the quiet.

Squaw Lake, Moose River Plains, Adirondacks by Mike, on Flickr

Driftwood, Squaw Lake, Moose River Plains, Adirondacks by Mike, on Flickr

Rock, Texture by Mike, on Flickr

Creek, Moose River Plains, off Indian Lake Road by Mike, on Flickr

I stopped along the way back at the bridge over Otter Brook and wandered (the now empty) campsite.

Rock, Otter Brook, Adirondacks by Mike, on Flickr

Then made my way back to my site to rive some kindling and eat some lunch.

Riving Kindling by Mike, on Flickr

Tarptent, Leaves by Mike, on Flickr

I was hoping for some color at sunset, and planned to hike to Mitchell Ponds. The clouds were thick as I set out…

White Snag, Moose River Plains, Adirondacks by Mike, on Flickr


Abandoned, Mitchell Ponds, Adirondacks by Mike, on Flickr

The ponds were lovely. I sat on the dock and snacked, watch the light change, and then explored over to the north side. The sunset never developed - so I sat and enjoyed the quiet - just me and the loons, and a tree fell somewhere on the south shore - scared the crap out of me!

Mitchell Ponds Panorama, Moose River Plains, Adirondack by Mike, on Flickr

Mitchell Ponds, Moose River Plains, Adirondacks by Mike, on Flickr

Boulder, Mitchell Ponds by Mike, on Flickr

On the way back a Barred Owl flew over my head… and then sat still for a portrait.

Barred Owl(2) by Mike, on Flickr

The next morning I packed up and headed out - I drove a loop up through Blue Mountain Lake and then back towards Vermont on Blue Ridge Road. I stopped at Henderson Lake and watched the morning light.

Hudson River, Fall, Adirondacks by Mike, on Flickr

Henderson Lake, Misty Morning, Adirondacks, NY by Mike, on Flickr

The color along the road was wonderful…

Two, Adirondacks Trees and Reflection by Mike, on Flickr

Pond, Reflections, Adirondacks (wide) by Mike, on Flickr


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire