mardi 16 octobre 2018

Steve Bigle Mt. via Pine Orchard, WLWF, 16 Oct, 2018

Several years ago, I was lounging around Pine Orchard in Wells. Through the trees, I saw hill to the east and wondered what it would be like to climb it. Well, today was the day.

You certainly won't find Steve Bigle Mt. on any "Highest...", "...Challenge Patch" or "2100'+ club" list. Today was about a solo exploration of this little corner of the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest.

After a short delay waiting for the repaving crew on Griffin Rd. to wave me through, I parked at the designated spot on Dorr Rd.



Zipping up the gortex against the stiff west breeze, I paused briefly to admire the view of Buckhorn Mt. and the Blue Hills, 8 miles distant in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness Area.



Quickly passing through the private land, the trail emerges on state land at a junction and trail register. (What's up with the boots?) :confused:



The blue disked multi purpose trail was an absolute joy to walk on today.



I took a short detour off trail to view the large beaver pond and Spruce Mt. to the east.



In no time, I was at the snowmobile bridge over a not so small unnamed tributary of Mill Creek.



.6 miles later, I crossed the outflow of an old beaver pond with no problem. This area has caused me some concern in the past, but not today.



A half a mile later, I climbed the small knoll known as Pine Orchard. Here, some of the bigger white pines in the Adirondacks are on display. Sure, there are bigger/older ones, but these are kind of neat.





After admiring the giants, I headed up the trail to find the slopes of Steve Bigle Mt. Unfortunately, the map had the trail passing much closer to the hill than it actually does. After adjusting my course, I approached the small stream that runs along the base of the hill.



I soon began to climb in earnest. The slopes were steep in spots, but navigation was reasonably easy in the open hemlocks.



After dodging some blowdown and ledges, I neared the 2130' summit.



I like climbing mountains, because when I can't climb any higher, I know I reached the top. I celebrated at the fern glade covered summit, enjoying a turkey sandwich and an apple.



After searching unsuccessfully for any ledges or windows with a view, I shot a back azimuth and headed down the hill. While the rocks were slippery and the blowdown kept trying to pull me off course, I hit the Pine Orchard trail near the top of the knoll. All that was left to do was hoof it two miles back to the parking lot.

All told, I spent about five hours walking the 7.5 miles to the top of Steve Bigle Mt. and back. It wasn't about the destination today, it was about the journey. Now, who the heck is Steve Bigle?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire