lundi 1 octobre 2018

"The One That Got Away", Or

..."old lures brought back to life"--either title is fitting for this thread, but I've got an interesting tale to tell.

Now truth be told, I'm much more successful spin casting than using the fly rod, which I always feel places me on the JV team for this forum. But I've found a niche spin casting fast moving waters where fly fishermen rarely roam (picture the iconic ending to "A River Runs Through It"). I've gone for plenty of swims by this strategy, but it seems to work for me.

As noted in previous threads, the fishing was meager over the summer for said reasons, but its been smoking hot for me and my 15-year old fishing partner son recently. We were coming to the tail end of what we call "the run"--which is gauntlet of fast water and tricky rocks in our favorite stream. We are Panther Martin devotees, which were all but failing us. So my son decides to take an old lure we've never used from the "rusty box" (everyone has one of those, right?), the type of which I think I'll keep to myself! Suffice it to say that after he plucked an 18" brown on that lure, I used another version of it and plucked two more browns at or about the same size. I was stunned, but it gets better.

We had so much success with that type of lure that we decided to meander beyond "the run" into a spot where we/others exclusively fly fish. I cast to a very productive hole and hook a fish that's of the 3-5 year variety (ya know, every 3-5 years one hooks onto a monster like that). My drag is screaming--almost as loudly as my son and I were--and I could tell this was MUCH bigger than the three 18-20 inchers we'd just landed. I unfortunately only had the thing on for about a minute before he/she decided enough was enough and spit the hook. I cast back to that hole a few more times, but I'm guessing that fish was old/smart enough to not make the same mistake twice.

As much I would have liked to have caught that fish, I suppose the moral to the story is to not forget about those older lures (i.e. methods of our forefathers).

NHtroutster


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire