mardi 14 janvier 2020

The Adirondack Camping Challenge

I’m not a peak bagger. I camp out of my kayak, or, on an occasion, I backpack several miles in to camp. But I don’t have a 46-item list to check off. And I’ve noticed that I’ve been stuck in a rut – often camping in the same areas. I must have camped a dozen times each on Stillwater Reservoir, Cranberry Lake and Indian Lake over the past 10 years.

So how about a challenge that I could actually care about? I’ve come up with a challenge for myself to camp in every Wilderness and Wild Forest unit within the blue line. I did not include Primitive Areas because these are often small and transitional in nature. My rules are that camping can be in a tent, lean-to, hammock or under the stars. It does not have to be at a designated campsite – it could be following the rules of camping 150 ft away from waterbody, trail and road. Regular DEC campgrounds on lands designated as intensive use do not count.

A few of the Adirondack units have very few designated campsites listed, and three of the wildernesses, Little Moose Mountain, Jay Mountain and Hoffman Notch have no designated campsites or lean-tos.

So here is my list of 47 such units - which is 1 more than 46! I only list one campsite per unit where I have camped at least once. I have 20 checked off - I am not even half way there. But I’m hoping this will get me to explore more areas of the park.

Code:

Unit Name                      Campsite Location
  1. Aldrich Pond Wild Forest
  2. Black River Wild Forest                  South Lake
  3. Blue Mountain Wild Forest                  Lake Durrant
  4. Blue Ridge Wilderness
  5. Chazy Highlands Wild Forest
  6. Cranberry Lake Wild Forest          Cranberry Lake #43
  7. Debar Mountain Wild Forest          Lake Kushaqua
  8. Ferris Lake Wild Forest                  G Lake
  9. Five Ponds Wilderness                  Stillwater Res #23
  10. Fulton Chain Wild Forest
  11. Giant Mountain Wilderness
  12. Grass River Wild Forest
  13. Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness
  14. Hammond Pond Wild Forest
  15. High Peaks Wilderness                  Raq Riv LT near Stoney Pds
  16. Hoffman Notch Wilderness
  17. Horseshoe Lake Wild Forest
  18. Hudson Gorge Wilderness
  19. Hurricane Mountain Wilderness
  20. Independence River Wild Forest      Stillwater Res #45
  21. Jay Mountain Wilderness
  22. Jessup River Wild Forest                Fawn Lake
  23. Lake George Wild Forest
  24. Little Moose Mountain Wilderness
  25. McKenzie Mtn Wilderness                Moose Pond (s shore)
  26. Moose River Plains Wild Forest        Moose River Plains CS
  27. Pepperbox Wilderness                    Mossier Reservoir
  28. Pharaoh Lake Wilderness                Crane Pond
  29. Pigeon Lake Wilderness                  Lower Sister Lake
  30. Raquette River Wild Forest
  31. Round Lake Wilderness
  32. Saint Regis Canoe Area
  33. Saranac Lakes Wild Forest                Floodwood Pond
  34. Sargent Ponds Wild Forest                Raq Lk at Marion River
  35. Sentinel Range Wilderness
  36. Shaker Mountain Wild Forest
  37. Siamese Ponds Wilderness                Indian Lake CS 51
  38. Silver Lake Wilderness                      Spy Lake
  39. Split Rock Mt Wild Forest
  40. Taylor Pond Wild Forest
  41. Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest
  42. Watson's East Triangle Wild Forest
  43. West Canada Lake Wilderness            CRF CS #5
  44. White Hill Wild Forest
  45. Wilcox Lake Wild Forest                    Garnet Lake
  46. William C. Whitney Wilderness
  47. Wilmington Wild Forest

Note: If you'd like to respond using a list with pseudo-columnized text like I did, select your text and press the # symbol (to wrap CODE tags around the selected text).


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire