lundi 27 septembre 2021

Can you build a "green" house in the Adirondacks?

By this I mean a year round residence which is not reliant on the grid, fossil fuel generators or burners?

I've looked at it many times and I don't think so, not even using the most sophisticated insulation/geothermal systems.

It also calls the question as to whether wood is "green". You can do it with wood (and a lot of concessions), but at some point, if enough people rely on wood for a large amount of energy, it's not sustainable. It's only a sustainable resource when you use a very little of it each year - I don't know the number, but trees take a long time to grow. I'm sure the internet could give you an acreage estimate per home size, but I'd guess that it depends a lot on the individual property.

I think even in warmer climates where the sun shines more this is a real stretch using everything you can throw at it. Cooking heat, hot water, and drying clothes are big heavy hitters that take a lot of energy and not something we are going to readily, sustainable go back to using wood for.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire