mercredi 25 janvier 2017

Mid April?

So in late March I cross a significant birthday. Family asked what I wanted to do and the thought of matching miles for age popped into my mind. Maybe a 3-4 day affair...

My trusty hiking partner has Spring Break starting April 14th. I think this is prior to black fly season but there will still be snow in the woods and of course a storm is not out of the question. Way to early to get a good feel for the weather.

We are comfortable and experienced camping in the teens and backpacking in the twenties-thirties.

Questions:
Do you think this would be 'plan on Snowshoeing extensive parts of trail', 'bring snowshoes as a precaution' or 'skip through the woods unencumbered'.

Do you think creeks and streams will be passable? I am concerned about getting to them (ice around edges) and of course getting through / over them with the increase in melt? Great tip here recently about crossing same stream morning and afternoon is actually different since sun increases melt.

General wetness of trail this time of year? Tough to predict but I have to think if it is warm enough low lying areas would be rather wet?

Thinking of bear barrel whole way. Need it after Apr 1 in high peaks and more than once I have deployed a shoddy bear bag due to dark.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire