dimanche 16 septembre 2018

Big Slide Sep 15

Got to the Marcy airfield at 7:30 (Garden lot was full at 6:30), took the shuttle and was ready to hike at 8:00. This was my first ever solo trip so I was a little apprehensive on motivating myself. Turns out this was a fantastic hike and I enjoyed every minute.

Decided to do the loop and ascend Big Slide from the South. First 3 miles take you to near the lodge. By that time, you've gained about 800' elevation without barely noticing.

First half of the ascent (after veering North), follows a brook and actually crosses it a few times - might be a fun challenge when water is higher. Did not cross on a soul on this portion, but the creek seemed to talk to me. Quite an enjoyable portion, not too steep, 1 or 2 views along the way.

When you get to the junction with the "3 Brothers trail", turn left for the final climb to the top. This part is very challenging, but only because of the grade. There are wooden ladders to help you. Summit is smallish but great views - including Marcy which seems so close! View is not 360, but you'll see from Giant clockwise to Algonquin, so probably a 270 view. Maybe because the summit is smaller, people shared food & stories. There was a family that were celebrating the accomplishment of their 46. Congrats!

Went down East through the 3 Brothers. Wow! So much views. A lot of walking (and some climbing) on bare rock surfaces. I find that climbing up is often easier than climbing down, so I might've found it easier to do this loop the other way around, but I was there for a challenge and left entirely fulfilled!

What I great trail, I would do this again any time!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire