dimanche 23 septembre 2018

Henderson Lake 9/22

Had always wanted to paddle Henderson, a place my folks had visited with their Hornbecks. With my mom's passing, I thought it appropriate to take one of the boats up for a lap around the lake in their honor. Right decision.

Day started cloudy and sprinkling in Lake Pleasant, where I was based, but I looked at the forecast and the old adage of "rain before 7, quit before 11" looked like it was going to be again true.

Long Lake pit stop brought still cloudy skies and drizzle, so I started to get concerned. As I drove by the overlook in Newcomb, though, my hopes were confirmed: blue sky, lifting clouds, no rain.

Hit the Calamity trail for the quick jaunt to the dam with Hornbeck over my shoulder. The arm westbound was calm, but then when I passed the point, the full force of a pretty solid NW wind hit me. I ferried across to the W shore, ducking in and out of the many coves to rest as the panorama unfolded. And what a panorama it is... "McNaughty" takes center stage, only to be upstaged by the cliffs of Wallface, which are spectacular. The southern Macs then come into view, with the SW to NE "gunsight" along the shoulder of Marshall becoming more prominent as you paddle north.

Explored the Henderson leanto- have to make a return trip and camp there- what a spot. The babbling brook next to it was really pretty and would surely be a great lullaby. Ate lunch on the beach below the leanto before continuing the trip around. The eastern shore is like the western: cliffs dropping out of sight into the depths, with cedars cascading off of them and hanging over the water.

I snuck back to the west shore opposite the arm that leads to the dam so I caould climb up a huge rock to get some final pics. The view was from McNaughton to Colden, and then to North River Range. Also was entertained by a loon doing its thing...

After 3 hours I was back at the dam, still in full sunshine. Took a short trek on the well-signed trail that wanders through the ruins of Adirondac- very nice addition.

All in all a wonderful day. Got me thinking of creating a "46rs" for paddlers: Create a list of HP public-access lakes and ponds that require carrying in. Henderson, Preston Ponds, Avalanche, Colden, Flowed Lands, Boreas, Giant's Washbowl, Wallface Ponds, Bradley Pond, and of course, Lost Pond (from which the Hornbeck model I paddled gets its name), to name a few on my list for starters. Lake Tear and Mary Louise might also be considered, but they would be rugged... Now have done 2 of them!

And, on a beautiful Saturday in September, I saw no one on the lake, heard voices (from the water) of people along the trail near IPB, and encountered a few folks wandering around the dam. Pretty much had the place to myself, which was what I needed...


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire