jeudi 27 septembre 2018

Eagle Pond, WLWF, 27 Sep, 2018

Today, I had a chance to get back to one of the most "remote" spots in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest. While only a mile from Rt. 8, Eagle Pond is nestled high in a isolated valley, 600+ feet up the slopes of Harrington Mt. in Johnsburg. I hadn't been here in three years, so I figured today was a good chance to stretch my legs and pay it another visit.

Probably the hardest part of this hike is finding the right parking lot along Rt. 8. The unmarked path is pretty straightforward for at least two-thirds of the walk. ;)

The first steep pitch leads through a mixed forest of pine and fir.



Since it rained last night, the dew was heavy on the spider webs. This made them a little easier to locate seconds before I plowed through them with my face :mad:



The path ascends to the pond in three steps. The first third of a mile brings you up 300' to the first beaver flow. This one had a nice 8' dam holding back the water of the Eagle Pond outlet.



The path circumnavigated this scenic pond and plunged into a hardwood forest. The foot tread was a little harder to follow in this section. After another third of a mile, the "blown out" beaver pond appears with it's views of the Blue Hills.



The path completely disappears in the last third of mile. Fortunately, the bushwack is pretty straightforward. Heading up the last several hundred feet, I passed some massive, house sized erratics. Being careful to approach from the west, the Eagle Pond soon came into view.



Trying to stay uphill of recent beaver activity was a challenge as the terrain "sucked" me downhill towards the thick stuff. Eventually, I came out at the rocky point adjacent to the designated campsite.



I lounged around for a while enjoying the view.



The leaves were just starting to change around the pond. Next week ought to be prime.



While I was basking, I noticed an animal swimming in the pond. First I thought it was a beaver or otter. However, as it got closer, it was very small; almost like a mink, but not swimming like one. I was shocked to see a red squirrel get out of the water, shake itself off and climb a spruce tree adjacent to my perch. That was the first time I've seen a squirrel swim; very strange. :eh?:

All too soon it was time to leave this beautiful pond. I decided to retrace my steps from 2015 and inspect the ledges located a few minutes to the west of the pond. The hazy sun and young vegetation restricted my view somewhat, but I did sneak a nice peak of the Blue Hills in the distance.



All that was left was to head downhill to the path and walk back to Rt. 8. However, there was time for one more short adventurous detour. The recent rains swelled the outlet of Eagle Pond and since the trail closely parallels the small stream, I took a short walk to check out a nice 15' waterfall.



Once I left the wonderful little cascade, it was a five minute walk back to the road. All told, I spent about four hours poking around this rugged chunk of the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest. Not a bad way to spend an early fall day.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire