dimanche 13 octobre 2019

Fin and feather

We spent the past 10 days in a cabin (based camped) on Upper St. Regis Lake with our power boat and ultralight canoe and kayak. The week started off with some evening and early am rain and fog but overall the weather was superb.

After settling in and "all dressed up" for cocktails and dinner I decided to toss in some of my new EGB blinker lures off the dock and I hooked into this nice Northern Pike.



The following day we headed off and explored 3 different St. Regis Ponds. After 3 carries and on the last pond I finally hooked into some trout (Splake) which became the main dish for our evening meal.





The following day we hiked St. Regis Mountain. On 2 other days during the week we stopped by the VIC hiking some of their trails and visited Blue Mountain Museum.



The rest of our time we explored regional ponds and lakes with a focus on streams, rivers, and wetlands. At the mouth of one river in particular I hooked into 4 nice Northern Pike. Two I boated and 2 others I lost, along with my lures, as I was unprepared tackle wise using 4 lb test line without a leader.



Several years ago I had concluded that during fall brook trout fishing trips it would be worth while to bring along my .410 in the event of crossing the path of some waterfowl as northern waterfowl season opens during the last part of the fishing season. During our 10 days we flushed 50+ birds. Most were flushed well before any gun shot range (.410 or otherwise). I did have 4 opportunities to shoot at 4 different birds, most while floating around a corner of a meandering narrow stream, bagging 2 birds on 2 different days (A Black and Mallard).






I must say this was the most enjoyable vacation, fishing, and hunting trip I've ever been on.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire