dimanche 6 octobre 2019

I put together the most complete map of NY lean-to and backcountry shelter locations

I got tired of trying to use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of which lean-tos I have/have not stayed in yet towards the lean-to challenge, because with ~400 lean-tos it was a PITA to remember where each and every shelter is located exactly- useful information for planning future trips! So I decided to just map all of them out. The end product of my endeavors over the past few weeks is the most complete map of lean-to and backcountry shelter locations in NY that has ever been compiled.

Here's the link to the map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XR...aI&usp=sharing

The map key is as follows:

Green dots are lean-tos/shelters that are part of the lean-to challenge. To be eligible, a shelter needs to be available for free use at least part of the year. Note that some of these shelters do still require a permit to use (but the permit is free). Some of these shelters are fee use also during at least part of the year.

Red dots are lean-tos/shelters that are not part of the lean-to challenge. I.e., they are fee use only, or day use only.

Important disclaimer: Use of this map is at the sole discretion and risk of the user. No certification is made regarding the accuracy of this map. Most lean-to locations shown are approximate. Some of the shelters shown require property owner permission/permits to use. Some of the shelters shown are planned future shelters that have not yet been constructed. Remember that DEC regulations do not permit pitching tents inside of or adjacent to shelters on DEC lands. Other regulations may apply to non-DEC lands. All information contained within this map should be verified independently before use.

While I have no doubt that this is the most extensive map of backcountry lean-tos and shelters in NY that anyone has ever compiled to date, I also have no doubt that it is anything but 100% accurate. So feel free to point out any inaccuracies/mistakes that you spot! :)

At some point in the future I may work on expanding this map to other states, but for now it is just limited to NY.

-------------------------------------------------

Already I've found the map to be super handy for my own planning purposes. I've even put together a version for personal use that just shows only those lean-tos/shelters that are part of the lean-to challenge, color coded by whether I've stayed in that particular shelter already or not.

BTW, my current count towards the lean-to challenge is 225 lean-tos camped in out of 398 total! 56% complete! :)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire