mardi 8 octobre 2019

Long/Island Pond, LGWF, 8 Oct, 2019

Today, I had an opportunity for a solo hike to Long and Island Ponds in the Lake George Wild Forest. I've been here a few times over the past few years, but always enjoy checking out the ponds and climbing the small neighborhood hill.

An early departure brought me to the trailhead on the well maintained Padanarum Rd. Spur.



When Tredhed and I first visited here seven years ago, the ATV abuse was significant. The new gate helps to deter the ATVs, but the beaver is probably the real reason no one rides on this trail.



A narrow and circuitous detour avoids most of the wet spots and rejoins the blue disked trail in short order.



A spur trail branches from the main trail...



...and heads down to the swampy south shore of Long Pond.



The last two times I've been here, I walked around the north shore. Today I had a chance to explore the designated campsites and rock ledges on the south shore.





While walking down the length of the pond on a fisherman's path, I was lucky to watch two otters chasing something through the muddy shallows. Once they saw me, they grunted and rapidly swam out into the depths. I always love watching their antics.

At the north end of the pond, I crossed a beaver dam on the outlet and worked my way up the north shore until I had a good view of the neighborhood hill, my final objective for the day.



However, next on the agenda was a quick bushwhack to Island Pond for lunch.



I lounged on the unmarked designated campsite that sits atop a beautiful rock ledge. The views of the namesake island are superb.



My final task today was to pick up the trail at the east end of Island Pond and bushwhack up the 250' neighborhood hill. The views back down Long Pond with Beech Mt. in the distance were very nice on this wonderful fall day.



Way too soon, it was time to head back down the hill, cut the trail and hike the short distance back to the truck. All told, I spent about five hours in the woods exploring the ponds and the nooks and crannies of the neighborhood hill.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire