mardi 24 mars 2015

Third Brother, Pharaoh Lake Wilderness 3/24/15

Unexpected day off = Take advantage of a gorgeous early Spring day in the

Adirondacks!



I've been up Third Brother twice before, both during winter from Spuyentenduivel

Brook, through deep unbroken snow, and even though some good views were

had, I'd yet to make it to the summit.



Today was different. Spring has officially begun, and the early morning low

temperatures allowed a speedy walk along the old Spuytendivel Brook path

with my snowshoes strapped to my pack. I was able to make it to the

marsh at the eastern foot of Third Brother in a brisk 30 mins, and enjoyed the

view across the marsh towards the cliffs on Barton Mountain at the far end for

a few minutes before continuing on...











As the weather warmed up, I began the ascent up the eastern slopes, and soon

recognized the familiar view toward the "Barton High Cliffs". Even though it

was nice to now have the sun in my face, it didn't make for a great photo...











Continuing uphill, I noticed many broken branches along way, and wondered

what it could be from, until I saw this...











As I approached the summit, the weather had warmed up enough to where I

started punching though the snow up to my shins, so I put on my snowshoes and shortly after, I reached the summit...











Descending slightly brought very nice views west towards Second Brother and

Brant Lake...













Yup, Wide open views toward Jenny, Second Brother, Brant Lake, and Gore

Mountain in the distant center...













Circling around the summit toward the south opened up more views...











...and even more views toward the southeast...













I tried zooming in on a tower of some sort across the way...













Soon it was time to head back down, and wouldn't you know it, I just happened

to find some bare ground in the Adirondacks for the first time this Spring...











So I kicked off my snowshoes, strapped them to my pack again, and made my

way back to my truck, 4.5 miles & 6 hours after leaving it on Route 8 near

the bridge over Spuytenduivel Brook. It was a great day to be out! Sure beats

working anyway! :)




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire