mardi 14 mars 2017

Winter Stuff

I guess boredom has taken over. Off from work with this snowstorm and starting to go stir crazy.

Thought I'd put up some stuff from this past winter. Overall it was a pretty good one, no complaints. Well, I do have one...One of my favorite things this time of year is steelheading. The shape of the ontario tribs is just nothing like it has been. Very sad. I went one day when I had a coaching conference out that way and got some fishing time in and I was literally the only angler on the river for most of my day. 5 years ago it would have been a zoo. Dont get me wrong, I loved the solitude, but there just simply aren't as many fish. it's upsetting.

Here's a pic of some of the things coming off the vise. Been tying a lot of pond flies this past week. Damsels, dragons, theres a purple/black fox fur leech. I also have been tying a lot more caddis this year. Davie Mcphail on youtube has given me a ton of great pupa ideas as I am looking to get on that zebra caddis hatch again this year after all of the great conversations last year. plus, I want to be prepared on our return trip to maine this year.

Attachment 18676


Attachment 18677

I built a couple rods too. I built a switch rod and tried my hand at turning my own cork grip for the first time. I used this as an opportunity to rebuild my favorite rod. the grip was simple to make and I'll be doing all of my future rods this way.

Attachment 18684

Attachment 18685

Even though I wasnt steelheading, I did still get out and caught some fish


Attachment 18678

Attachment 18680

Attachment 18679

lastly, the coolest pic for me is this one. as i was out on one of my winter rivers i came across this stretch of streambed with the heaviest concentration of cased caddis ive ever seen. every little spec in the pic is a caddis. it was really cool to see.

Attachment 18681

Attachment 18682

a representative pattern of the cased

Attachment 18683

sorry for the length of the post. hopefully the pics show up this is my first time using google (photobucket site never works). Also got a new vise which I love, and a new float tube. finally cracked and got the trinity. I love it so far but I need to figure out the best way to fold it up. its still a little bit of a bulky fold for my taste but i also dont think its deflated all the way. be safe if youre near the snow and get ready for the new season. I cant wait, I already have my first 3 ponds picked out and ready to go

Attached Images
File Type: jpg flies 2.jpg (115.9 KB)
File Type: png klink.png (26.5 KB)
File Type: png brown.png (35.1 KB)
File Type: jpg rainbow.jpg (109.1 KB)
File Type: jpg rainbow 2.jpg (123.6 KB)
File Type: jpg cased caddis.jpg (82.6 KB)
File Type: jpg green caddis.jpg (124.1 KB)
File Type: png cased caddis fly.png (23.3 KB)
File Type: jpg inlay.jpg (100.6 KB)
File Type: jpg rod.jpg (90.2 KB)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire