vendredi 23 juin 2017

Pike on the fly, leader trouble shooting

This may be a casting problem but here goes nothing..

I went out for pike & bass last Sunday, my first time chasing pike with a fly rod. From the fly line I had 20lb mono (nail knot), then a salt water wire leader (albright knot), finishing with a haywire twist to the fly. I had difficulty getting more than 30ft of line out. I was casting a 9wt rod and have thrown big ish flies around before...Is it the wire leader? If so, should I switch to mono or a braid?

Hell, I can quote a “River Runs through It” in my sleep...But for the life of me I couldn't even double haul that hand tied chicken I was casting far enough to be worth while. I'm assuming the mono wasn't turning the leader well enough and I was loosing my casting momentum. Is it too light, a tackle problem, heavier fly line? Or should I be casting slightly different than a 5wt for trout?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire