jeudi 12 mars 2015

Filter or Forge?

For a while now I've been mulling over whether martial arts are a "filter" or a "forge"?

By that I mean does doing a martial art serve to forge people into stronger/more confident versions of themselves (mentally as a well as physically)?

Or does doing a martial art serve to filter out the people that aren't strong enough to last the distance (both mentally and physically) and so only the strong are left?

Is it a mixture of the two? Are some arts more filter than forge? I think something like Kyokushinkai karate is more of a filter for example.

Does it depend on the instructor and how lessons are structured?

If you teach what approach do you favour? Do you try to bring people along progressively and build them up or pitch the lesson at a certain level and if people can't hack it they leave?



As someone that struggles with confidence martial arts served as a forge for me BUT that process had to be carefully managed, mostly by myself. And a large part of that "forging" process was just simple luck rather than judgement that I only realised after the fact.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire