jeudi 19 mars 2015

The percentage of Aikido schools that do not require the hakama

Greetings everyone!



I still being a relative newbie to Aikido, I am grateful to this MAP forum for I being able to submit a few different questions here over the last few months pertaining to this wonderful martial art.



Please allow me to state upfront, before I ask my 3 questions below, that I of course understand that I do not have complete knowledge of Aikido, and that I realize that I perhaps do not have a global perspective on why we do certain things while at the same time refrain from doing other things, but that the longer I practice our art, I will perhaps grasp and understand more and more.



That being said, I do not completely appreciate the practice in Aikido of Shodan, and above, wearing the hakama pants.



I think that I have heard in the past that blackbelts wear the hakama in order to, I am paraphrasing, conceal their footwork. OK. I can sort of understand this. However, ...



1. Is this the only reason? Or, is this perhaps considered the main reason of perhaps several other smaller reasons? If so, what are all the reasons?



2. That being said, why not sometime the black belts, for instance, refrain from wearing their hakama and have a go at it with each other in this scenario, albeit, without the hakama?



I have been wondering, analogous to within the grappling or Jiu Jitsu universe, where they, for instance, train alternately between “gi” and “no gi”, likewise, I would think that, in order to be a true, flexible martial art (I am referring to Aikido), that it needs to have options, that it needs to exercise within itself a variety of different scenarios, i.e. hakama vs. no hakama.



3. I understand that it is not 100% across the board, that is, that it is not absolutely all Aikido schools that require their black belts to wear the hakama. Therefore, I would like to ask, just roughly, because I know that it would be very difficult to be exact, what do you think is the percentage of Aikido schools that do not require their black belts to wear the hakama?



I have heard that there are some schools out there, it of course being a minority. Still, I would just be curious as to approximately what is this percentage.



I can accept that the blackbelts, when practicing amongst themselves, wear their hakama if they deem this to be important. However, I am not understanding why they insist on wearing the hakama when they are attempting to teach other students, such as for instance myself, a white belt. Quite often when I have a particular question for my sensei about a technique, for instance, regarding the positioning or placement of footwork, what ultimately happens is that the instructor has to lift up his hakama, so that I can more clearly see and comprehend the placement of his feet, as he then proceeds to demonstrate the technique for me again. Thus, I am then thinking to myself, “Why doesn’t he just take off the hakama as he proceeds to work with we whitebelts, and then afterward put the hakama back on (if he still feels that it’s important) as he works with the other black belts?”



Please allow me to state that my instructor is very congenial, approachable and informative.



Still, I would prefer not to ask my above questions to my sensei in the very slight off chance that he may misinterpret it that I am being remotely condescending toward he wearing the hakama pants.



Thank you very much for any responses.



The best to all,



Greetings!




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire