lundi 6 février 2017

Spring trout training

SO there I was I had to get in the woods and get in a good hike for trout season preparation. I loaded the fridge into me pack, 15 busch lights (half a days rations). We had rented a room at the Norridgewock and planned on hiking in via the Twitchell lake trail. I had to get out there and loosen up these legs and break in my back for my Hornbeck so that im ready to take Glen and VT out this spring (they keep bugging me to show them how to wobble).

The hike started at the Twitchell lake trail head, the group consisted of me my girlfriend Kelly and Jason. Jason had taken his pregnant wife into the Beaver River station early that day via snowsled and returned to the trail head to hike with us. The trail was hard going and barely noticeable because of all the snow which measured 4 foot in places and with the lack of hikers (0) the going was very slow. Me and Jason took turns breaking trail which was tiring almost impossible at times. We heavily relied of trail makers to find the trail because of the amount of snow the trail was hard to distinguish from the rest of the woods. At times we had our doubts that we would make it because our moving speed was so slow that we figured we would run out of time and be forced to turn around. But we managed to hike the 7.5 mile trail in 5.5 hours. It was quite the hike we barely broke the 1 mile an hour mark at times I stopped looking at my GPS it was mind numbingly slow.

The next day we had no interest in hike that Twitchell lake trail out so me and Jason decided to hike the rail road tracks out which during the winter turns into a snowsled highway. Kelly had no interest in hiking out with us lol I cant blame her so she stayed back with Jason's wife and waited for use to bring the sled into pick them up. Its quite a bit longer to take the tracks rather than the trail but also faster hiking, so we navigated the flat railroad tracks, trying our best to stay out of the snowmobilers way. We hiked the 9 miles back to the big moose station and a group of riders offered to take use the remaining 2.5 miles back to the truck which was parked at the Twitchell lake tail head still. We thanked the riders and Jason get on his sled and went back into retrieve the ladies from the Norridgewock. I was going to take the truck over to the Stillwater hotel and he was to bring them across the reservoir. However his sled broke down at the Norridgewock and was unable to bring them across the reservoir he caught a ride with a snowmobiler, and came to the Stillwater hotel. Exhausted we few ideas on how to retrieve the ladies and unable to find someone to ride out there and pick them up we drove home to get another sled and returned an hour later rode out to the beaver river station and picked up the ladies. Everyone made it out alight it just took longer than planned

I was going to post this story on the trip report but this is a fishing story in a sense in that I was out there getting my hiking legs ready for spring. Like trout fishing not everything goes as planned all that you can do is bring enough beer to outlast the bad times


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire