samedi 17 juin 2017

Wild Siamese Ponds 6/17/2017

Hiked into Siamese Ponds today to do a little exploration. Having a white tail deer cross the road in front of me within view of the trail head should have been a indication of how my day would go. I was happy to see that the black flies have thinned out but unfortunately they appear to have been replaced with hoards of mosquitoes and a few horse flies. The head net stayed on most of the day.

I hit the Eleventh Mt trail head shortly after 9am and quickly soaked through my pants and socks. The previous nights rain had soaked everything, replenished the muddy areas of the trail and left low overcast skies. Despite the overnight rain, the trail was littered with animal tracks - mostly deer but I spotted several moose tracks and some other clawed critters. I hiked at an uncharacteristically slow pace in an attempt to be quiet and see the woods before the woods heard me. Apparently I still need practice since I flushed a deer before I could see it. :banghead:

After a couple of hours I made it to the lean-to on the river where I relaxed for a little bit and pulled a small brookie from the water. The lean-to is in decent shape and at a great location if you can deal with the trail passing nearby.

Attachment 18798
Attachment 18799

I pushed on and was at the Siamese Ponds in 45 minutes, flushing another deer along the way. This one may have been a young buck although I didn't see it's head - not sure if I was snorted at or if it stepped on some unbalanced rocks on it's retreat through a brook.

Once at Siamese Ponds, the sun had come out and created an unwelcome sauna. I spent several hours fishing and exploring. There are some amazing campsites back there! But only for those willing to put in the work to get to them!

Attachment 18800
Attachment 18801
Attachment 18802
Attachment 18803

On the return trip I flushed out the 3rd white tail of the day. Spent a little more time at the river before I made the call to hike out. I was originally planning on staying the night but figured I had already donated enough blood. Came across a couple of moles and a porkie in the trail on the way out.

Despite the bugs and heat it was great day with lots of wildlife and a trail and pond to myself!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4626 - Copy.JPG (136.2 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_4631.JPG (136.4 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_4633.JPG (125.2 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_4634.JPG (144.1 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_4638.JPG (129.3 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_4642.JPG (137.4 KB)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire