vendredi 24 octobre 2014

No gear no experience want to ski to avalanch pass where to start

So I'm looking for something to keep me in shape in the winters and I think i'd really enjoy cross country skiing I tried it once 20 years ago and had a great time. I have absolutely no experience and absolutely no gear so I'm starting from square 1. My ultimate goal is to work up my skill and endurance enough to ski from the ADK Loj out to the Avalanche Pass area. That's my goal that i'll be working up to. If it takes me a few years to get there i'm alright with that but I want to make sure i'm moving in that direction from the get go.



That said I guess my question is what type of skiis and what type of skiing do I need to learn for a trip like that?



From what I've read i'm guessing i'd want to learn "classical style" with "touring skis" does that sound about right for the terrain on those trails or am I way off? Do I need a metal edge for trails like that?



I'm not particularly interested in the groomed trails at the ski centers and riding in a track with a bunch of other people i'd rather have the gear to do stuff like the marcy truck trail and other ski trails near the Loj or the trail to Pharaoh lake. I'd also love to try the whiteface highway some day.



If i wanted to rent some skiis from EMS and teach myself how to ski is there a really easy trail that someone can recommend? Or maybe a good guidebook you can recommend for the ADK area?



Thanks for any and all advice :thumbs:




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire