jeudi 30 octobre 2014

Why don't potatoes count towards your five a day?

Hi all,



So potatoes don't count towards your five a day, even though they are vegetables and even though they contain valuable nutrients.



Apparently, the reason for this is that they are commonly used in place of starchy foods (like bread or pasta). At least, this is what the NHS website says.



I'm no nutritionist and I openly invite a wider explanation here, because I just don't see the logic of that last sentence. Surely, how I choose to "use" potatoes has absolutely nothing to do with their nutritional value? If I made a carb-conscious sandwich using vegetables instead of bread, they wouldn't magically lose their nutritional value, would they? I mean, if they contain vitamins, they come from the ground, and they are a whole food... what's the problem?




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire