jeudi 30 octobre 2014

Todays SD Situation

Sitting upstairs in McDonalds today waiting for my hot chocolate to cool and I hear shouting from outside.



I take a look out of the window and see 4 guys, the ring leader of which was mouthing off and posturing.



It was all there, splayed arms, neck pecking, extreme language and so on.



It was aimed at one lad, but hadn't gone mono-syllabic, so I figured I had a bit of time.



I wasn't wearing my cape and I didn't fancy breaking the window, so I grabbed my bag and took a stroll outside.



I thought I'll go up to the guy on his own and say something along the lines of "sorry I'm late, let's go", nod him a wink and get him out of there, his fault or not.



As I got outside it was clear that this option wasn't open to me. The guy on his own had started neck pecking and pointing, so no point turning his anger on me.



I took a position close enough to watch and called the police and to step in if needed, but far enough away they couldn't hear me conversation.



I made sure I looked as though I was on a business call. Gesturing with my free hand, turning toward and away from the group - just enough to answer call centre questions - pacing up and down etc.



Once I knew the police were on their way and it had calmed down enough to convince me the physical thread was over I went on my way.



Why the post?



Well it's important to recognise the signs before the fight starts.



The posturing, the neck pecking, splayed arms, the mono-syllabic speech etc.



Even when making the call to the police I made care to use body language to stay on watch, but appear elsewhere.



Learn Cooper's colour code or similar and also if you do make a call to the police, watch your back when walking away.



There were 4 guys (+1), so I walked away, went into a shop, came out and crossed the road just to be sure.



And my hot chocolate went un-drunk.



This event goes completely under the radar in terms of how it made me feel.



There was no adrenaline rush, no threat to me, and it was my choice to go outside to assist if need be.



This decision isn't to be recommended and was in part research on my part.



I could, and you should, have remained in McDonalds.



I've not posted this to be smart, but to highlight how you should learn to recognise situations and how you should act yourself if you end up being close to a situation that could turn nasty.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire