jeudi 13 avril 2017

Garmin eTrex 10

Hi,

I'm in the market for a handheld GPS.

I'm partial to Garmin because it's compatible with the route planning software I use (although I'm not sure I'll ever upgrade to the paid plan to take advantage of that feature).

Plan is to track routes and then contribute to the OSM project. Don't plan to use it for navigation unless things go sideways. For this reason I'll need the ability to load area OSM maps to the unit.

The Garmin eTrex 10 seems to meet my requirements:
  • high-sensitivity receiver
  • tracks both GPS and GLONASS satellites
  • rated IPX7 (incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes)
Don't think I require color, large screen, big storage, etc. But perhaps there are features I "need" that I'm unaware of?

Noticeably absent from the list of features is the ability to add maps. However, the OSM Wiki states "Contrary to the vendor's claim, you can (and you should) upload OSM data to eTrex 10."

Besides any general recommendations does anyone have real world experience with loading the OSM maps?

The OSM Wiki states that it doesn't have an altimeter. However, screen shots on Garmin's page show the elevation displayed. I would think that elevation would be a basic feature of any hiking GPS? I assume the OSM Wiki is referring to the lack of a barometric altimeter?

Again, the OSM Wiki highlights the lack of a compass but the screen shots show a compass option. I assume the Wiki is referring to the lack of a magnetic compass?

Amazon has it for CA$147 after shipping and tax. Used ones (some with cases) have been going on eBay for an average CA$99 after shipping, customs, and tax.

Any hesitation about going with a used unit?

Thanks,
AP


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire