vendredi 7 avril 2017

Wolfjaws considerations

Greetings,

Planning a hike to Upper Wolfjaw and Lower Wolfjaw this summer and looking for some input. Also thought I'd share my research to date for other noobs.

Sorry, it' a long read but I'm just thinking out loud and organizing my thoughts.

Seems the most common approaches are from Ausable Club (AMR) or The Garden. The Garden appears to be the consensus easier climb. Via Roostercomb seems to be a less popular approach.

Wolfjaws from The Garden: The software I use calculated 11.2 miles and 3574 feet of gross elevation gain. My NatGeo maps tells me it's closer to 12 miles. Note that the South Side Trail has been abandoned so you need to do some research if following the route I've mapped. Phelps Trail is the alternative, doesn't add much mileage, and would make a nice loop for some variety.

Wolfjaws from Ausable Club: The software I use calculated 11.0 miles and 3706 feet of gross elevation gain. My NatGeo maps tells me it's closer to 12 miles.

Wolfjaws via Roostercomb: The software I use calculated 11.4 miles and 5008 feet of gross elevation gain. It's not a route we're considering so I didn't use the map to get a more accurate mileage. Roostercomb itself is a side trail so it would add mileage and elevation.

If Roostercomb is on your to-do list this approach is a possibility. We're going to leave Roostercomb for a day hike with other family members. If you're an aspiring 46er you're going to do a lot of hiking from the Ausable Club and The Garden so this approach may be a consideration to add a little variety.


We're a fan of loops rather than out and backs so I was initially attracted to a combination of Ausable Club and The Garden (requiring 2 vehicles). Even though the approach from Ausable is more difficult I leaned towards that direction so that we could visit Tenderfoot Pools on the way out (perhaps our favorite spot in the park). The software I use calculated 10.8 miles and 3775 feet of gross elevation gain. My NatGeo maps tells me it's closer to 12 miles.


Of course, you can't research Lower Wolfjaw without encountering the Bennies Brook Slide approach. I initially rejected it as too difficult. But then I stumbled across this entry at OffOnAdventure.com:

Bennies Brook Slide is amazing. Don't miss it. You don't have to be a technical slide climber to enjoy it. There are even nice level spots to sit and relax. Kids would love it. It's not a dangerous climb in my opinion.

Further research has led me to believe that it may be something we should consider. Hike in on Phelps, back past DEC station and up the slide, over to Upper Wolfjaw, down to Tenderfoot Pools and return to The Garden via South Side.

So looking for some feedback on the difficulty. The boys are 8 and 10.

Notable hikes to date:
  • Cascade and Porter: Easy, gave them the option of Porter when we reached the Cascade junction and they endorsed it enthusiastically.
  • Brothers Big Slide loop, return via South Side Trail: Went well, they left me in the dust up the Big Slide scramble. Noticeable fatigue and slowing on the Slide Mountain Brook descent. All good once we found level ground and the anticipation for Tenderfoot Pools started to grow.
  • Mount Adams: My 10 year old carries a lot more weight than his sibling and he struggled. There were tears. "Why did you take me on this hike?" "I hate this hike" "I'm never hiking again". But none of it was actually authentic. He did want to continue and it was just his way of communicating "This is tough". He looks back at the hike fondly and is proud of the accomplishment.

South Side Trail to Wolf Jaw Notch along Lower Wolfjaw Trail is 1.8 miles so I'm assuming Bennies Brook to Lower WolfJaw via the slide is similar. 2100 feet net elevation gain from start of slide to Lower Wolfjaw.

Mount Adams from East River Trail is 1.6 miles with 1650 feet net elevation gain.

So how would you compare Bennies Brook to Mount Adams? If it's significantly more difficult I think it's something we should leave until they're a bit older.


Thanks for reading,
AP


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire