lundi 5 juin 2017

Good Luck Lake Mystery Boat

I had an odd experience on Good Luck Lake a few years ago that continues to eat at my curiosity and imagination. It's a mystery that I am hoping y'all can help solve, so I am posting here to see if anyone has a clue or explanation for what I witnessed.

Here's the story:

Back in September of 2013, a buddy and I paddled into Good Luck Lake for a quick overnight trip. It was a Thursday night. We arrived at the launch close to sunset and the weather was perfect ADK late summer / early fall with a full moon.

After a short paddle, we quickly set up camp on the south side of the lake as darkness fell and began to enjoy camp dinner and a few beers around a large fire.

We still had a large fire going around midnight when I heard the noise of paddle and oar hitting what sounded like an aluminum boat towards the direction of the marsh and stream that lead towards Spectacle Lake (to our west).

This surprised me, because we thought we were the only ones on the lake that night and we had not seen other cars at the launch.

I went down to the water's edge and looked to the direction of the noise and saw a very large beam of light from a heavy duty flash light moving left to right in the marsh. There were several more hits of the oar/paddle to the side of the boat as it made its way through the marsh to the main lake.

Once on the main lake, the boat turned on a small outboard motor and jetted across our line of site. We could only make out the dark shape of man and dog (which barked) as the boat crossed the lake at midnight to the direction of the outlet to the launch.

My questions:

Is the marsh/stream navigable to Spectacle Lake (in early fall)?

If so, then one can reasonably assume this was a fellow traveler returning late from a fishing trip. But why go through the process of navigating that marsh in the dark?

What other reasons might someone have for taking a boat like that up that way and coming out in the middle of the night? I don't think there are campsites up that way, correct?

Is this just another Adirondack oddity?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire