lundi 16 octobre 2017

Last Three Days

Pond 1 on Friday - UpstateDave and I fished a new pond that he found. Of course that meant it was his day to out-fish me (not that it takes much). We caught beautiful, solid brookies to 16" with a couple of grabs from what may have been more substantial fish. The magic fly was Dave's skinny, purple leech, fished on a clear intermediate line. Highlight of the day was seeing a mother bear and cub on the shore.

Pond 2 on Saturday - This is a gem that kicked out monster fish for us this Spring. It just plain didn't fish, turning out 2 14" fish for a day's effort. Highlight of the day: while tromping through a dry bog, I heard cracking branches on the other side. Here comes a young bull moose high stepping it through the bog straight toward me. I dropped my pack and ran to the side and got behind the first substantial tree. He came straight for me, head low and nostrils flared. He stopped maybe 20 feet away, snorting and breathing hard. It was probably 4 or 5 minutes before he decided I wasn't a threat and walked off. It's okay now that I have clean underwear and a beer in front of me. My adrenaline level has declined perceptibly over the last two days.

Pond 3 on Sunday - This is a pond we have fished for years, some better than others. I quickly found a pod of fish, all females, all 15" to 18". After catching several I left to explore the rest of the pond. Nada, so I came back, a long kick into the wind. Not only were the females there, the boys had joined them. Highlight of the day: 6 fish, all 17" to 18" in ten casts. And all they wanted was a simple dragonfly nymph, fished about 5 feet down.

And so ends the 2017 season. It feels like we should have 2 more weeks. Water temps are still in the high 50's!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg oct-1.jpg (124.9 KB)
File Type: jpg oct-2.jpg (102.0 KB)
File Type: jpg oct-3.jpg (135.9 KB)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire