jeudi 19 octobre 2017

Pond Tactic: Multiple Flies

Hypothetically speaking of course......

I arrive to fish an ADK Brookie pond, see no surface activity, and have no idea where the fish are. I'd like to explore the entire water column using 3 or 4 flies, spaced at roughly equal intervals, on the leader.

Consider the following drawing:



Am I thinking about this right?
Most of my Stillwater knowledge is based on Denny Rickards' books and videos. One of his "no-no's" is fishing subsurface flies with a floating line. Yet I'd think - with the appropriate length leader it would be perfect for probing the entire water column.

In the UK, they do just this, fishing 2 or 3 flies under a "bung" (strike indicator) or they'll remove the bung, replacing it with a 3rd or 4th fly. Both were originally used with chironomids and the latter is referred to as "straight line buzzer fishing". Either can be used with other nymphs/wets.

Thought I'd ask all of you what I'm missing.......


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire