dimanche 15 octobre 2017

Google Map Driving Directions Problems

A few years ago, there was a post on one of these forums titled "All Online Maps Suck". And when it comes to the driving directions associated with a Google Map search for destinations such as "Porter" or "Indian Head", Truer words were never spoken. Those driving directions take you to the closest road approach. In the case of Porter, users are told to drive the network of private roads in Adrian's Acres practically to the summit of Little Porter. With Indian Head, users are told they can drive to the Lower Ausable Lake. An approach to Johns Brook Lodge takes users up Smith Way onto the "jeep trail" that becomes the Southside Trail.

In each of the above cases and in many others I have discovered, the private landowners are becoming increasingly angry at these intrusions - especially when the additional use causes the need for additional road maintenance. No landowner has yet resorted to the "shotgun solution", but the anger and frustration are building.

I recently went through many of the local destinations and posted a review that warned of the problem with the driving directions and explained the correct approach. I did this because earlier attempts to click on the "suggest an edit" link did not produce any positive result other than an automated email letting me know they had received my suggestion.

Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that my efforts with the reviews will have only a limited benefit, because those who access the search with a phone do not see the review. I learned this on Friday when I had occasion to drive the Lake Road late Friday afternoon. I ended up giving a ride to a couple jogging up the road a little after 4 PM. They wanted to go to Indian Head, but had believed from their phone that they could have driven much closer.

So, does anyone out there know how to get past the available "suggest an edit" link so that I might be able to get these erroneous directions changed? If so, PM me with the info. Thanks.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire