dimanche 16 août 2020

Putnam Pond and Rock Pond (7/31/20)

I did a nice paddle trip to Putnam Pond and Rock Pond for the day on July 31st. I parked at the day use parking just past the boat launch. The campground is currently open for reservations only, no walk-ups. They had the gate to the campground closed – campground access was limited to just campers. The parking lot in the day use area was pretty full for a Friday, but there were not many people at the boat launch. The day use fee is $6.

I was able to launch pretty quickly and head out onto the lake after a quick bathroom break, note that only one of the two bathrooms near the beach is open this year (#5 near the dam). Putnam Pond was very calm and only about half of the sites were occupied. There were just a few fisherman and paddlers out on the lake. It was a very nice paddle to the Rock Pond trailhead.

I carried my boat over to Rock Pond without incident and launched where the trail first meets the pond. I was surprised at the number of people that I encountered at the pond. There were a few groups hiking and campers at two sites. Both of the groups camping had carried boats over to the pond. Paddling on Rock Pond was fabulous, a very pretty afternoon. I enjoyed a quick swim in Rock Pond before heading back to Putnam Pond. I spent some time paddling around Putnam Pond and enjoying another swim before heading home. I didn’t see any water snakes and no leeches, so the swimming was successful! It looked like the sites were filling up as I was leaving around 4 pm.

I have been limiting my trips to the Adirondacks this summer to weekdays to avoid the crowds. It was definitely busier than usual, but it never felt crowded. I expect that the boat launch and parking would be crowded on a weekend. I found out after the trip that they are limiting parking in the area near the boat launch to boaters only. The parking are near the beach is closed and hikers are parking out at the Lost Pond trailhead.

A few pictures from the trip.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2866 (1).jpg (77.8 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_2845 (1).jpg (124.0 KB)
File Type: jpg IMG_2851 (1).jpg (121.9 KB)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire